70 Birch Alley
Beavercreek, Ohio, 45440
With more than ten years of corporate and compliance experience prior to becoming an attorney, Scot brings a diverse business skill set to his practice at Burton Law. Having worked in business management and operations in Fortune 500 companies, Scot has insight not only to his client’s legal concerns, but the internal and market challenges to running a business. Scot has also had the privilege of working as a law clerk in various environments to include private practice, higher education, as well as with a Major League Baseball team. Scot’s practice is focused on a wide variety of business law matters including commercial contracts, government contracting and serving as outside counsel to small companies.
Scot’s areas of concentration are data privacy law and intellectual property. A Certified Information Privacy Professional and former Privacy Officer for healthcare, technology and pharmaceutical informatics companies, Scot has a passion for privacy matters. He has presented and written on the topics of data protection and de-identification in Ohio and throughout the U.S. Scot assists clients in all areas of the data life cycle to include identifying, evaluating and managing risks associated with privacy and information security practices of companies, third parties, training and awareness programs, as well as drafting and negotiating agreements concerning data protection. As a registered patent attorney, Scot also assists clients in all aspects of intellectual property matters to include trademark, copyright and prosecuting patents.
Admitted to Practice
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Baylor University, Bachelor of Arts, Biology/Pre-Medicine
- University of Dayton School of Law, Juris Doctor
- Dayton Bar Association & Ohio State Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Association & Dayton Intellectual Property Association
- American Bar Association: Intellectual Property Practice Area
- Co-Founder, Carolinas Privacy Official Network
Scot served as an enlisted soldier and officer in the Army National Guard for eleven years in the Medical Service, Engineer and Signal Corps.
Pro Bono Commitment to Community, University of Dayton School of Law, 2009
Football Official, Ohio State High School Athletic Association
Publications and Presentations
- Model Omnibus Privacy Statute, University of Dayton Law Review, 2010, co-authored with Sam Han, Ph.D, J.D.
- The Value of De-identified Information, Carnegie Mellon University/CYLAB, 2007, co-presented with Mike Hubbard